Diplomat cream is what you use when you want the flavor of pastry cream but in a lighter, fluffier package.
- ¼ Liters Milk
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 80 Grams(2.5oz) Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 30 30 Grams(1oz) Cornstarch
- 2 (5gr) Gelatines Sheets
- 100 Grams(3,2oz) Heavy Cream (whipping cream)
- 2 Tablespoons(optional) Rum or Orange Blossom essence or Grand Marnier
- Cut the vanilla bean in half, remove the seeds with the back of a knife and add, seeds and pod into the milk.
- Bring the milk to a boil with the vanilla bean, remove from stove, and let infuse 5 minutes covered with a lid.
- Whisk the egg yolks, the sugar and the cornstarch together. Soak the gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Pour the milk on top of the yolk mixture, mix well and bring to a boil, keep mixing… remove from stove and pour into a bowl, squeeze the gelatines to remove water and add to the cream, whisk well. Cover and let cool down completely in the fridge.
- Whisk the heavy cream until soft but not firm, add the refrigerated cream base and whisk well… add the Rum, orange blossom essence or Grand Marnier if you want and it is ready to use.
Can be used for choux a la crème, crepes, Tart Tropezienne ...