Top 10 things to do with kids in Paris over Christmas
From the middle of November onwards, Paris becomes a glittering winter wonderland. No other town in the world dresses itself up quite like Paris for the festive season. The city really does dazzle at this time of year. It’s a time for wrapping up warm, strolling around the beautifully lit city and taking refuge from the chilly weather in cosy cafes. It’s a fantastic time to be busy with the family and there is so much activity to choose from. Lucky for you, MLP has the scoop on the very best family fun this Christmas in Paris.
- The ice rinks are back in Paris! Yay! It’s so much fun family fun! Discover all the pop-up ice rinks in the city and create some great memories during the holiday season. You can skate on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower or unleash your inner Torvill and Dean at the Christmas Village by the Champs Elysée. Either way, you’ll have a great time. Check out MLP’s top 8 rinks in the city.
- The perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit in Paris is to explore the plethora of markets around the city. You can check out our selection of the top 10 here. Great for last-minute gifts and ‘yule’ (see what I did there?) enjoy a truly authentic French experience. Wonderful for the whole family.
- Never before has MLP seen a city that has a love affair with carousels quite like Paris. The city goes into overdrive with them over Christmas with many free for kids. Find them all over Paris from December 19 until January 3. 11am until 9pm. Fun, fun, fun for kids.
- This is one of the most fabulous family events in Paris! The Grand Palais will this year, be turned into a magical winter wonderland, with the largest skating rink in France at its centre. Although the ice rinks have been mentioned already, this one deserves a special mention. Check out all the details for this Grand Palais extravaganza. Book your tickets in advance to avoid the queues.
- Build Lego at the City Hall this Christmas in Paris, from December 2nd until December 30th, 2016. Children and adults are invited to rediscover Paris through famous sites built out of Lego, as well as getting the chance to recreate the city too. Hotel de Ville is always such a beautiful place to visit and this is a brilliant reason to take the kids.
Place de l’Hôtel de Ville, 75004 Paris
- For 20 days during December, you and your family can enjoy day upon day of free activities in the 19th district of Paris. Why? In celebration of the opening of the Rosa Parks Social and Cultural centre in the 19th district of Paris. You and the kids can participate in workshops and see many events from December 3 onwards without spending a dime. There will be photo sessions, cooking classes and so much more to get involved with. All details can be found on the Mairie 19 website. MLP loves that Paris has a space in honour of this remarkable and brave woman of colour
- See the lights on the Champs Elysèesthis Christmas in Paris, to completely absorb yourself in the twinkling lights of a Parisian Noël. MLP suggests you take the opportunity to climb up the steps of the Arc du Triomphe and take in the glorious view from way up high. It’s an exhausting ascent but you are rewarded with the landscape on arrival! Or even better, take one of those late night bus tours around the city so you can see the whole of Paris by night.
- As brilliant as this place is, there’s no question that you have to be in the mood and ready, to take on this monolith of entertainment for kids. But what better time to do it! Might as well thrust the job of bringing Christmas to life into the hands of the people that do it best! Especially with Disney on Ice in full swing.
Disney on Ice is always a hit with younger children and this year it celebrates ‘One Hundred Years of Dreams”. Nemo, Beauty and the Beast, the Lion King and Aladdin – they will all be there! It’s a great festive treat and well worth popping out to the Zenith venue at Parc de la Villette. Tickets are available via FNAC. http://www.disneylandparis.fr
- Not just animals this year, there’s also a section devoted to over 50 of the best games ever. Including table football specially designed for 22 players! Could be a great chance to while away a few hours and let’s not forget the ice rink here this year too. Parc Zoologique, Route de Ceinture du Lac Daumesnil, 75012 Paris,
- Yes! The Eiffel Tower is going all glitz and glamour this year with a phenomenal light show by all accounts. Gone are the days of the firework shows it once became renowned for – but in its place, an orchestrated ensemble of lights should help see in 2017. Alternatively, you and the family could head to Montmartre for a late night moment overlooking the city with picnic hamper in hand – ahhhhhh pourquoi pas! More ideas for News Years Eve coming soon.
For 20 more great ideas about what to do in Paris check out Mama Loves Paris
Sign your kids (6-12 yrs) up for a French cooking class for kids in Paris. Or join them in a Cuisine en Famille class and cook a 3-course meal together.