Top 10 things to do with kids in Paris over Christmas
From the middle of November onwards, Paris becomes a glittering winter wonderland. No other town in the world dresses itself up quite like Paris for the festive season. The city really does dazzle at this time of year. It’s a time for wrapping up warm, strolling around the beautifully lit city, and taking refuge from the chilly weather in cozy cafes. It’s a fantastic time to be busy with the family and there is so much activity to choose from. Lucky for you, here’s the scoop on the very best family fun this Christmas in Paris.
- The ice rinks are back in Paris! Yay! It’s so much fun family fun! Discover all the pop-up ice rinks in the city and create some great memories during the holiday season. You can skate on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower or unleash your inner Torvill and Dean at the Christmas Village by the Champs Elysée. Either way, you’ll have a great time. The perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit in Paris is to explore the plethora of markets around the city. You can check out our selection of the top 10 here. Great for last-minute gifts and ‘yule’ (see what I did there?) enjoy a truly authentic French experience. Wonderful for the whole family. Speaking of last-minute gifts, you can always get yourself a gift voucher to offer a loved one a cooking class in Paris!
- Never before has a city had a love affair with carousels quite like Paris. The city goes into overdrive with them over Christmas with many free for kids. Find them all over Paris from December 19 until January 3. 11am until 9pm. Fun, fun, fun for kids.
- This is one of the most fabulous family events in Paris! The Grand Palais will this year, be turned into a magical winter wonderland, with the largest skating rink in France at its centre. Although the ice rinks have been mentioned already, this one deserves a special mention. Check out all the details for this Grand Palais extravaganza. Book your tickets in advance to avoid the queues.
- Head to the Grands Magasins and marvel at the incredible window displays all down the street! In the heart of Paris, two iconic department stores, Galeries Lafayette and Printemps, engage in a festive rivalry each Christmas, showcasing spectacular and animated window displays. These captivating scenes draw crowds eager to witness the holiday magic. Amidst the hustle and bustle, families with young ones can enjoy the enchantment by patiently guiding their children to the specially designed raised platforms. These platforms ensure that even the littlest ones can fully experience the delightful displays. While the stores may subtly encourage holiday shopping, the true wonder lies in the joyous expressions on the children’s faces, oblivious to the commercial intentions behind the dazzling spectacle. For those seeking this enchanting experience, you can find it at Galeries Lafayette. 40 Boulevard Haussmann, 75009 Paris, France.
Place de l’Hôtel de Ville, 75004 Paris
- Learn a new skill together with the Patisserie en Famille Class from Cook’n With Class, and have your little one baking Eiffel Tower cookies and more to offer Santa a treat à la française! 6 Rue Baudelique, Paris, 75018
- See the lights on the Champs Elysèesthis Christmas in Paris, to completely absorb yourself in the twinkling lights of a Parisian Noël. MLP suggests you take the opportunity to climb up the steps of the Arc du Triomphe and take in the glorious view from way up high. It’s an exhausting ascent but you are rewarded with the landscape on arrival! Or even better, take one of those late night bus tours around the city so you can see the whole of Paris by night.
- As brilliant as this place is, there’s no question that you have to be in the mood and ready, to take on this monolith of entertainment for kids. But what better time to do it! Might as well thrust the job of bringing Christmas to life into the hands of the people that do it best! Especially with Disney on Ice in full swing.
Disney on Ice is always a hit with younger children and this year it celebrates “believe in your dreams”. Moana, Beauty and the Beast, Elsa, and Aladdin – they will all be there! It’s a great festive treat and well worth popping out to the Zenith venue at Parc de la Villette. Tickets are available here.
- Not just animals this year, there’s also a section devoted to over 50 of the best games ever. Including table football specially designed for 22 players! Could be a great chance to while away a few hours and let’s not forget the ice rink here this year too. Parc Zoologique, Route de Ceinture du Lac Daumesnil, 75012 Paris,
- Yes! The Eiffel Tower is going all glitz and glamour this year with a phenomenal light show by all accounts. Gone are the days of the firework shows it once became renowned for – head there for a light show to remember! Alternatively, you and the family could head to Montmartre for a late-night moment overlooking the city with a picnic hamper in hand – ahhhhhh pourquoi pas! More ideas for News Years Eve coming soon.
For 20 more great ideas about what to do in Paris check out Mama Loves Paris
Sign your kids (6-12 yrs) up for a French cooking class for kids in Paris. Or join them in a Cuisine en Famille class and cook a 3-course meal together.